Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Revolution (1968)


Revolution is a documentary about the the 60’s hippie scene in San Francisco. At the center of the movie is pretty blonde Today Malone, who at the age of 20 is living in a hippie commune. She moved from New Mexico to San Francisco to escape police harassment in her home town. She seems to enjoy her new life and changed her name to Today after taking some Owsley acid. She’s taken 23 LSD trips and the camera follows her, presumably on her 24th. After taking it she is seen sitting with her friends giggling in the commune, splashing around in the sea or giggling in the park.

Around the central subject of Today we meet other characters in Height Ashbury. One leader of a commune based out in the countryside predicts that cyberspace will rule our lives more in the future as well as predicting that we’ll have more leisure time (I’m not sure if everyone would all agree with the last point).

Interspersed throughout the documentary is some great music by the likes of Country Jo and The Fish, Quicksilver Messenger Service and one interesting, but very brief clip of the all-girl group Ace of Cups. There are the obligatory psychedelic oil lights and camera zooms in and out of psychedelic posters. Also there is a fair amount of nudity, from the hippie commune in the countryside to an interview with swingers on a beach to a group of naked people doing some performance art infront of some liquid lights.

Towards the end of the movie there is quite a serious discussion with Today and one of her friends on the effects of LSD on human chromosomes and they ponder the probability of giving birth to mongoloide children. This is backed up with a stern warning from a scientist.

I enjoyed this documentary and Today seems like a nice average girl living the hippie life in San Francisco. After watching these types of movies I always wonder whatever happened to these people, and interestingly the director updated this movie with a new interview with Today taken in 1986. Now she is a single mother of two living back in New Mexico (I presume her chromosomes were ok). Because the director was involved in serious car accident, the updated movie wasn’t released until 1996 under the title The Hippie Revolution.


20 comments:

Glenn said...

I've had the soundtrack since '68. I've always wanted to see the movie.
Trouble is, when I click on the link I get:

Alert
Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (ed2k) isn't associated with any program.

Any suggestions?

Mr. B.Normal said...

Hi Glenn,

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your query. I've just checked the link and it worked fine with my Emule and the file is still available, so I'm not sure what is happening there.

Alternatively, try a search for the movie and it will probably come up.

Anonymous said...

Link no longer works - Oct. 23, 2008. :-(

Mr. B.Normal said...

I've just tried the link and it seems to be ok. Give it another try and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this

i have emulev0.49c but i always stay in the waiting status any suggestions on what i should do?

Mr. B.Normal said...

"i have emulev0.49c but i always stay in the waiting status any suggestions on what i should do?"

I'm not sure, but as a guess, what's your ID status? If it's showing as low, then that could be the problem.

Anonymous said...

The link no longer works. I get this message when clicking on the link: The webpage cannot be displayed.

Mr. B.Normal said...

Have you installed Emule on your computer?

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

L. Stoddard said...

Today here: You can find the film at
http://www.thevideobeat.com/store/music-documentaries/revolution-1968.html

Anonymous said...

i just heard the soundtrack and.. i must see that movie:) thank you mr.b.normal

Anonymous said...

The Hippie Revolution 1996 Revolution 1968

hello, im Charlie and well i was wondering if you could be kind to download the Documentary to Stagevu.com, can you? emule just dosn't have enough sources.

Thank you, have a goodone...

Mr. B.Normal said...

Hi Charlie,

Sorry I don't have a copy of Revolution to post to Stagevu.com. I wasn't the original uploader. It was just something I found already on Emule at the time.

Carlos said...

i just uploaded the movie on stagevu here is the link:

http://stagevu.com/video/chvvnynvtmbe

oshinn said...

you can currently find this on netflix <3

peace and love

Anonymous said...

I have emule now but am also constantly on waiting status with this file. I think I increased the status setting but I'm not sure. Can someone help me with this? I want to watch this film. Thank you

Erich Kuersten said...

this is also on Netflix Streaming, if you have Netflix. It's worth it to get it just for all the great streams! Thanks for this write-up, just found your blog as I'm writing up REVOLUTION myself. This site be trippin'! In the good way.

Anonymous said...

have been digging for this for some time now, and at last, thanx to your blog, have now scored another treasure, i also have a music blog, you might find something there you like, come visit and see what you can find, have over 300 posts, mostly prog, but have many bay area bands of intrest, as always enjoy the music and heres my link, http://solarmusicfreakacym.blogspot.com/

boothby said...

Hi,
Do you have any info about the guy who is shown as the exec producer for this movie. I assume he bankrolled the project. His name is shown as Robert Leder and I think he lives in our village

Mr. B.Normal said...

Hi Boothby,

From what I've found out, I think he formed his own company, Robert J. Leder Co, after leaving his post as president of RKO Pictures. His company was a show business firm for movies, TV shows, arena productions, and theatre productions. Two TV shows he did were The Mini Skirt Rebellion (which was the first time many Americans were introduced to the mini skirt) and Hit the Surf.

Earlier in his career, Leder was manager of WINS, New York, when it programmed Hot 100 music.

This information came from Billboard magazine, 1967.

I can't find any more about him after that. You should go and ask him. It might be quite interesting.

Ed

Mr. B.Normal said...

I've just received this message which may interest many of you:

"My name is Michael Leder and my father produced the movie Revolution. He has the greatest stories about the history of Rock and Roll. I can be reached at yohoagieboy@gmail.com "