Saturday, November 29, 2008
This is one of my all-time favorite dub reggae albums. It consists of very minimalistic dub with a heavy emphasis on deep bass accompanied by layered synth delays that blend in and out. It’s perfect for testing out your subwoofers.
Incidentally, in the mid-90’s, I attended a few of the Jah Shaka Sound System nights at the Rocket in Holloway Road, London. Shaka would use only one record deck and the sound was pumped out from all four sides of the room through large stacks of speakers each with a public address system horn mounted on the top. The bass was amazing and you could feel each note resonate through different parts of your body. I even witnessed deaf people attend because they could sense the music.
I see he’s still doing nights with his sound system so if you are in the area, I recommend checking it out. There’s info on his website here.
From his website:
Right from the beginning he [Shaka] was preaching how sound-system was the true medium of the people, capable of passing on vital messages unable to be heard anywhere else.
Hope you enjoy this music. Appreciated best when incredibly stoned and not for light-weights.
1. Promise Dub
2. Real Dub
3. Natty Dub
4. Testament Dub
5. Armagedeon Dub
6. Right Dub
7. Alert Dub
8. Halilujah Dub
9. Sunshine Dub
10. History Dub
Feel the dub here.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
If you enjoyed my Cambodian 60's music compilation, Cambodian Swing Machine, you might be interested in this clip of a Cambodian band performing the Kink's All Of The Day And All Of The Night. There's some great dancing and where are the notes going on the top end of the chorus?
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Here’s a great compilation by my friend, Cuthbert9. It’s a mixture of mellow dreamy psychedelia and is perfect for those Sunday mornings when you don’t want to get out of bed.
1. 23rd Turnoff – Michaelangelo
2. World of Oz – Like A Tear
3. The Action - Things You Cannot See
4. Billy Nichols – Come Again
5. David Axelrod – Schoolboy
6. Tim Buckley – Once I Was
7. The Kytes – Frosted Panes
8. The Move – Beautiful Daughter
9. Gene Clark – So You Say You’ve Lost Your Baby
10. Love – Hummingbirds
11. The Giant Jellybean Cop Out – Look At The Girls
12. Eddie Harris – Smoke Signals
13. Manfred Mann – Up The Junction
14. The Monkees – As We Go Along
15. The Beach Boys – Let’s Go Away For A While
16. George Harrison – While My Guitar Gently Weeps (acoustic version)
17. Frabjoy & Runcible Spoon – Animal Song
18. Nick Drake – Fruit Tree
19. Country Joe & The Fish – Bass Strings
20. The Small Faces – Autumn Stone
21. We All Together – I’m A Bluebird
22. Mouse And The Traps – Sometimes You Just Can’t Win
23. The Gates of Eden – No One Was There
Part One is here and Part Two is there.