Saturday, February 7, 2009

Khudgarz


Okay, I must admit, I’m not a great fan of Indian contemporary music. I’m sure there’s a lot of good music out there, but from what I’ve been exposed to in the Bollywood movies it all sounds pretty much the same. That is, except for one album which I really love. It’s the soundtrack to the 1987 movie Khudgarz, which to me stands out amongst the others.

The songs comprise of nice vocal melodies and what I really like most about the songs are the musical breaks with cooing female choirs, compressed strings, pounding tablas and more catchy melodies.

I visited Mumbai (Bombay) in 1987 when this movie had just come out and the music from it seemed very popular. Everywhere I went I could hear these songs playing and many times I raced through the Mumbai suburb of Bandra with the songs blaring out the back of my auto-rickshaw.

The music was written by Rajesh Roshan, who is a respected Bollywood music composer and was the soundtrack to his brother, Rakesh Roshan’s movie (the movie is good fun, too). It's also worth remembering that this soundtrack was produced at the time when all the instruments were played by real musicians rather than keyboard samples.

I’ve posted here my three favorite songs from the album.

No comments: